(IM01) Hannah Brooker – Cundall
Graduate Structural Engineer
- Seismic design of laundry support steel frames
- Conversion of steel framed office building to hotel
- Concrete framed laboratory building with vibration analysis
- New steel framed production facility for Rolls Royce
- Foundation and superstructure design for masonry houses
- Sustainable design
- Innovative building solutions/techniques
- Re-use of existing structures
- Residential structures
- Conceptual design of structures
- Design for deconstruction
(IM02) Peter White – Arup
Senior Structural Engineer
- Worked in Dubai/Abu Dhabi during the construction phase of the new terminal of Abu Dhabi International Airport.
- Inspection, assessment and remediation of buildings at the University of Sheffield.
- Design and assessment of buildings.
- Remote monitoring of buildings.
(IM03) Andrew Parker – AECOM
- Riyadh Metro Project – Construction Support / Design Representative.
- Worked in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, for 9 months on the construction of the Viaduct for a new metro. This required me to deal with design and construction queries whilst on site and also manage the sub-contractors to ensure the construction and delivery schedule was met.
- Operational Property Structural Assessment Programme (OPSAP) – this is the inspection and assessment of 95 Network Rail Structures along the rail network. This requires a detailed inspection of all of the structural members and connections followed by an assessment and any recommendations for any repairs that are required.
- Camel Underpass – design of two underpasses in Qatar for camels to safely pass under the highway. These were both based on a 90m long concrete box structure.
- James Aqueduct – lowering of the ground level underneath a grade 2 listed masonry arch aqueduct. This required the design of pre-cast concrete channels to prop the abutments of the arch with the reduction of ground pressures.
- Connect 2 Cable Stayed Bridge design – design of a cable stayed bridge for pedestrians and cyclists over the River Wye in Hereford.
- Bridge design
- Bridge assessment
- Construction support
- Inter-disciplinary design management
- Project management
- Structural Inspections
- Bridge repairs
- construction of post tensioning structures
- construction of pre-cast concrete segments
- construction of foundations
(IM04) Kiera Mudd – Curtins
- 3 Wellington Place – A new office building in Leeds city center. I designed the concrete aspects of the building and am currently overseeing it’s construction.
- Manchester Metropolitan University student accommodation – New high-rise student accommodation. The building will consist of 21 storeys and will be constructed from concrete and modular units. I was responsible for developing the structural scheme with the architect.
- Aurora Health and Wellbeing Center – A refurbishment of a Grade 2 listed former library. The scheme involves restoring parts of the original building and remodeling the internal area. I am managing a team of civil & structural engineers and technicians to produce drawings and a report to assist with pricing the works.
- Dynamic building facades research project – Research in conjunction with the University of Leeds into sustainable infrastructure and the role of the built environment. Can existing energy harvesting technologies be incorporated within building facades and the built environment to harvest significant amounts of energy from ambient weather conditions?
- Structural Engineering
- Alternative construction materials
- Energy harvesting technologies and buildings
- Dynamic building facades
(IM05) Robert Hampson – Curtins
- AMRC2, University of Sheffield – Laboratory of Verification and Validation
- AMRC2, University of Sheffield – Royce Transitional Centre
- AMRC2, University of Sheffield – iCAIR (Construction Innovation Centre)
University of Leeds – International Centre of Engineering and Physical Sciences
- Scheme design of structural engineering projects
- Analysis and design of structures
- Delivery of structural projects
- Steel Structures
- Concrete Structures
(IM06) Jacob Corteen – British Steel
- Safety analysis for welding of rail coated in zinc
- Modelling fatigue behaviour in rail
- Monitoring installation of novel coated rails
- Developing low-cost low-resistivity silver alloys (pre-industrial experience, working as a postdoc)
- Deformation mechanisms of metallic glasses (PhD thesis)
- Fracture Mechanics
- Rail Welding
- Alloy Development
- Mathematical Modelling
(IM07) Ed Ray – Gardiner & Theobald
- Expansion of various Pharmaceutical manufacturing facilities (New build facilities, refurbishment of existing facilities and procurement of technologically advanced specialist equipment in the UK, Europe and USA)
- Various projects at Heathrow Airport – Civils Projects (Runway Widening, Firemain Replacement etc), Equipment and IT Projects (Baggage System upgrades, network upgrades etc).
- Project Planning
- Cost Estimating
- Risk Management
- Cost Reporting
- Commercial Management
- Project Progress Measurement and reporting
- Feasibility Studies
- Project Change Control
(IM08) Richard Bradbury – VDM Metals Ltd
- Solid oxide fuel cells for domestic combined heat & power
- Waste to energy power plants
- Materials to meet new transportation emission regulations
- High strength, lightweight materials for the automotive industry
- LNG hoses in the Oil & Gas industry metal for end fittings
- Sales & Marketing,
- International Business,
- Product Development,
- Applications Engineering,
- Quality Systems,
- Supply Chain,
- Transportation Industry,
- Oil & Gas Industry,
- Process Industries.
(IM09) James Birbeck – Croda
Lead Engineer (Chemical)
- Increasing manufacturing capacity through development of continuous processing unit operations
- Developing a novel solution for trace residue removal
- Delivering advanced filtration techniques for use in multi-purpose plants
- Charging hazardous reactive solids into liquids
- Process intensification
- Project management
- Creative engineering
- Database development
- Bid writing
- Filtration techniques
- Continuous reactors
- Separation processes
- Scaling-up purification
(IM10) John Light – Thales (retired)
Retired Project Manager
- Technical/Project Management of many RN Sonar systems, shore based analysers and operator trainers.
- Project Management: taking a briefcase sized digital processor through design and development, test and certification for CE marking and into small scale production (12 units).
- Technical Project Management of a nine month project to provide three off-suitcase sized, high performance, spectrum analyser/data logger with alarms raised via SMS.
- Now retired, a number of small projects based around the Raspberry Pi!
- Project Management (£1m to £20m contracts)
- Requirements capture and analysis
- System Design
- Experience in all phases of a Project Life Cycle
- Test, validation and certification process
(IM11) Mark Dunnett – NXP Labs
- Advanced security protocols for “Internet of Things” applications
- Bluetooth Low Energy, Thread, Zigbee, Wifi: radio standards for the Connected Home.
- A consumer fitness tracker with medical-grade heart-rate sensor.
- Recent advances in Telehealth and remote patient monitoring.
- Cost-effective microcontrollers for the “Internet of Things”.
- Wearable embedded systems
- Bluetooth Smart 4.0, 4.1, 4.0
- Embedded micro-controllers
- Security protocols for “Internet of Things”
- “Internet of things” applications
- Battery chargers, gyroscopes, magnetometers, accelerometers
- Blood glucose meters
(IM12) Sheetal Sanak – Johnson & Johnson
- Commercialised product design change – involved: risk assessment, monitoring current product performance, design change, design re-verification/ user re-validation, regulatory impact assessment, process change verification, design change documentation, and finally launch.
- Product manufacturing transfer – need to reassess design verification, regulatory impact, process change verification.
- Design Risk assessment
- Regulatory submissions/re-classifications
- Product testing (verification/validation)
- Root-cause analysis
(IM13) Alex Buckman – Energy Technologies Institute
- Heat Infrastructure Development – innovating to reduce the cost of heat networks.
- Consumers, Vehicles and Energy Integration project – modelling the impact of consumer choice and operation of vehicles on the energy system.
- Transition Analysis – look at how we get from where we are now, to a future energy system in 2050.
- Storage and Flexibility Modelling – where should storage be put on our energy networks and how big should they be?
- Infrastructure Cost Calculator – building a tool to cost large infrastructure projects to compare strategic choices.
- Energy Systems
- Smart Buildings
- Heat Networks
- Energy Infrastructure
- Energy storage
- Electric vehicles
- Systems engineering
- City design
(IM14) Laura Holland – Ecotech Engineers
Senior Structural Engineer
- Foundation schedule for Barratt North Midlands, developments ranging from 50-400 plots.
- Crack monitor at a three year old apartment block at a David Wilson Homes development in Cambridge.
- Pile design for Wheeldon homes using the new JCB PilingMaster.
- Working with Barratts, H+H and SIG to trial a new large format block construction for the inner leaf of housing – carried out loading appraisals and site inspections.
- Structural design on renovation works on WW2 hangers at an Army Barrack Redevelopment Site.
- Concrete Design
- Masonry Design
- Reviewing Geotechnical Information relative for structural design
- Renovation Work
- Housing Standards
- Wind Loading
- Structural Inspections
- Organisation Skills
- Communication Skills
(IM15) James Seel – Texecom Ltd
- Trapped-key interlock marketing and new product development in the aggregates and mining industry.
- Design of a next generation electrochemical, disposable water sensor for chlorine testing.
- Increase production capacity of a fibre optic array from 10 per week to 40 per week over a 6 month period.
- Administrative processing to allow sale of automated blood pressure monitoring devices into Brazil.
- Pre-programming of wireless home automation systems for sale into the consumer market.
- Home automation
- Smart homes
- Remote monitoring
- Project management
- Drone Technology
- Sensor Technology
- User Experience
(IM16) Thatchu Selvarajan – Morgan Advanced Materials
Continuous Improvement Engineer
- Automation of manufacturing processes in industrial plant.
- Optimising manufacturing processes by reducing waste & time.
- Automation in Industrial manufacturing plants (Materials & Automotive industry)
- Supply chain strategy (Suppliers)
- Ceramic based materials
- Magnetic materials
- Ultrasonic & Sensors concepts
- Manufacturing processes in industrial plants
- Lean manufacturing methods
(IM17) Paulo Oliveira – Engineering Safety Consultants Ltd
- Product Certification of subsea High Integrity Pressure Protection System Valve.
- Technical safety review of refinery – heavy crude section.
- Safety and Environmental Risk review of offshore platform – Layer of protection analysis.
- Safety compliance audit for bulk storage facility.
- Power station (conversion to alternative fuel) technical safety review.
- Technical safety
- Asset Lifecycle Management
- Reliability Engineering
- Team leading
- Auditing and compliance
- Project Management
- Root Cause Analysis and investigation
(IM18) Andreas Mavrides – Amey Plc
Assistant Structural Engineer
- Bridge Inspection
- Bridge Monitoring
- New Yorkshire Water Tank Design
- Bridge Strengthening Site Supervision
- Trafford Schools Extension
- Structural Engineering (Bridges and Buildings)
- Structure Monitoring
- Structure Reliability
- Structure Inspections
- Structure Assessments
- Road Preservation
- Road Alignment
(IM19) Stuart Moore – Ramboll
Director – Bridges
- A23/A232 Fiveways Bridge Replacement – Croydon.
- Phase 2 Strengthening Hammersmith Flyover.
- White City Advanced Works – Bridges over the Central Line.
- The International Quarter Retaining Structures – Stratford.
- Civil engineering,
- Design process,
- Design interface management,
- Construction methodologies
(IM20) Andy Curry – Heyne Tillett Steel
- I have recently been leading the design of a number of refurbishment projects involving historic listed buildings in Central London. This includes forming a basement below a grade 2 listed house in Mayfair. Adding two additional storeys to a building located directly above a Crossrail station at Tottenham Court Road and internally remodelling a grade 1 building built in 1730.
- I have also been involved in the design of high rise buildings, including a 43 storey tower with a 4 storey basement on a constrained site within the City of London as well as spending significant time on site at Great Ormond Street hospital.
- I understand how a successful team operates and can lead the design process.
- I enjoy sketching and use this as a method to communicate ideas and clarify technical understanding for non technical audiences.
- I have a strong technical base and can apply this to complex tasks to solve problems
(IM21) Hue Loftus – None – currently on career break
- Development of cutting strategy (cutting tool and tool path selection) for the machining of C-17 (aircraft carrier) titanium rib component.
- Design special milling cutters to eliminate chatter (self-induced vibrations) when taking large depths of cuts in the machining of titanium.
- Identify optimum cutting tool geometry and tool material for increasing metal removal rates in the machining of Inconel 718 (nickel-based superalloy used in aero-engines).
- Drilling of composite materials.
- Evaluation of surface coatings and grades of tungsten carbides for the high-speed machining of titanium alloys.
- Project management
- Manufacturing systems
- Engineering materials
- Intellectual property
- Communications / customer liaison
- Sales support
- Product design and costing
- Machining systems
- Collaborative research
- Domestic conceptual designs
(IM22) Paul Surtees – Red Bull Technology
- 2017 Formula 1 car chassis design
- 2017 Formula 1 car gearbox design
- 2017 Formula 1 car aero test rake
- 2017 Formula 1 car bodywork design
- 2016 Formula 1 car wing design
- Design Engineering
- Material selection
- Mechanical Engineering
- Project Management
(IM23) Nick Beesley – SETIS
- Design and construction of the Drilling facilities on the Statoil Mariner project – North Sea.
- Design of deep-water drilling facilities offshore east coast Canada.
- Topsides engineering of the BP Clair Ridge facilities – North Sea.
- Design of the decommissioning facilities for the B41 nuclear waster repository – Sellafield.
- Renewable wind energy project – confidential client.
- I have been intimately involved in the development of the UK offshore safety regulations as an industry participant to the Health and Safety Commission (HSC).
- I have written safety cases and have a sound working knowledge of high risk industries regulation.
- I have participated in research projects as a steering group member and can therefore weigh-up pros and cons pretty effectively.
- I can help to make a difference to the project teams delivery and performance.
- I have managed multi-disciplinary teams through design into fabrication.
- I have been involved in projects that have started as feasibility studies, through conceptual designs, through the detailing process and finally up to build and commissioning; the whole lifecycle.
- I have end user experience and can therefore help the project teams meet their intended end user goals.
- I have a sense of humour.
(IM24) Stephen Ferguson – AECOM
Assistant Geotechnical Engineer
- Brent Cross Cricklewood – major renovation work around the Brent Cross shopping centre in Cricklewood. For this I have been carrying out bridge foundation and retaining wall design.
- Abney Landslip – A section of road in rural Derbyshire has been damaged due to ground instability. I led the project to investigate the cause of this by installing boreholes in the area to monitor slope movement and water levels.
- Smart Motorways – I’ve worked on two schemes for the M3 and M6 to turn the hard shoulder into a full running lane with the installation of electronic signage to control traffic flow. This included pile design for the new gantries on both schemes and acting as the project manager on the M3.
- Mersey Gateway – A new bridge in the Liverpool area. I’ve been involved with the design of soil mixing ground improvement for the new road construction. This required extensive finite element modelling of the proposed road works.
- Alney Island Flood Wall – I undertook analysis of an existing flood defence wall and came up with a number of options for extending its height and strength. Included retaining wall design and ground analysis.
- Project Management
- Pile foundation design
- Retaining wall design
- Ground investigation and analysis
- Smart motorways
- Borehole analysis
- Soil modelling
- Programme/financial tracking
- Quality inspections and management
- Slope stability
(IM25) Sanjay Patel – Ametek Taylor Hobson
- The development and manufacture of an ultra-lightweight Aston Martin Vanquish exhaust system.
- The development and manufacture of a bespoke exhaust silencer for an automotive manufacturer.
- The design of a coolant system for the Revolution Very Light Rail Project.
- An investigation into the failure of a high-precision gearbox.
- A metrology inspection of carbon bearings for the aerospace industry.
- Exhaust Systems
- Product design
- Component measurement/metrology
- Tribology (study of friction and wear)
- Sports engineering
(IM26) Xin Shi – AVL UK
- Racing car engine test facility design
- NVH study
- New research building design
- IP rated product design
- Engine shaft guard design
- Product design (including conceptual design, schematic design, detailed design, manufacturing drawing, assembly drawing and installation drawing)
- CAD (SolidWorks, AutoCAD, Revit)
- Project management
- Problem solving
- Presentation skill
- Budget control
(IM27) Steve Jubb – University Of Sheffield
Postgraduate Researcher (PhD Student)
- Electricity network modernisation – integration of Energy Storage in Smart Grids.
- Roadmap for infrastructure research in urban environments (including energy, transport and greenhouse gas mitigation).
- Large-scale telecom network implementation projects for major global customers.
- Energy Systems – integration of renewables and energy storage
- Transport – autonomous vehicles and infrastructure innovation
- Sustainable systems – enabling circular economies based on renewable sources, use reduction and recycling
- Highly connected systems – “Internet of Things”, cyber-security of critical infrastructure, resiliency
(IM28) Gary Backman – BAE Systems MA&I
- Aerodynamic Analysis
- Avionics Cooling
- Defect Investigations
- Landing Gear Loads Analysis
- Service Performance Framework
- Autonomous Road Vehicles for High Speed Motorway Travel
- Disaster Prevention Hose
- Commercial Electric Aircraft
- Internet of Things: Smart Rural Roads
- Making Cycling Safer
- Structural Health Monitoring
- Aircraft Design
- Thermal Management
- Data Analysis
(IM29) Maxine Kelly – Rolls-Royce plc
I have previously worked on a number of research and development projects – mainly with the external supply chain. These include …
- Projects relating to enhanced materials for bearing components.
- The development of journal bearings and the use of silicon carbide within the aerospace field.
- I am currently working on the implementation of a new software system related to purchasing and indirect category management.
- I have extensive experience of negotiating both purchasing / supply chain deals and complex research and development agreements with third parties (including research agencies, governmental bodies and suppliers).
- I have well developed project management skills.
- I also have the ability to develop, challenge and question business cases and workscopes.
(IM30) Matthew MacDonald – SSE
Rotating Plant Engineer
- Open Cycle Gas Turbine Power Station Bearing Failure Root Cause Analysis.
- Study into Stress Corrosion Cracking in Steam Turbine Rotors.
- Turbine Blade Vibration Monitoring in Steam Turbines.
- Performance Analysis and Fault Investigation of Three Wind Farms.
- Computational Fluid Dynamics Modelling of Strathy North Wind Farm.
- Vibration analysis (particularly turbine blades)
- Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD)
- Steam Turbines
- Gas Turbines
- Wind Turbines
- Performance analysis
- Power station maintenance planning and implementation
(IM31) Mohamed Ehtiawesh – Mott MacDonald
- Investigations into new algorithms for smart controllers.
- Investigations into building management systems.
- IT & Programming Skills
- Project Management
- Strategic Problem Solving
- Communication and Relationship Management
(IM32) Samuel Essien – SSE
- After graduating in July 2014, I spent a brief stint working for Eon in Nottingham as a Credit Controller, which allowed me to gain commercial exposure to the Energy Industry.
- I then moved on to work for SSE as part of their engineering graduate intake in 2015. To date I have worked in the following business areas:
- Large Capital Projects – Thermal Power
- Energy From Waste – Operational Engineering Support
- Process Engineering
- Asset Management – Condition Monitoring
- I undertake quarterly reviews, and I am registered with IChemE, hopefully on track to get Chartered as a Chemical Engineer in 2019. I have worked in the Energy Industry for just over two years now and enjoy my involvement solving some of the energy challenges in the UK, from an engineering and sometimes commercial perspective.
- Process Engineering
- Water Treatment – Desalination, Flocculation, Ion Exchange/CEDI Treatment
- Downstream Processing – Distillation, Cracking, Reforming
- Process Design
- Power Generation – Nuclear,Gas,Oil, Energy from Waste
- Additive Manufacture – 3D Printing
- Remote Condition Monitoring/Asset management
(IM33) Ben Crunkhorn – SPS Aerostructures Ltd
Apologies but Ben is unable to attend due to last minute work matters.
(IM34) John Niemiec – Projects ENGIE
O & M Manager
- Organisation & Management Manager – Projects
(IM35) Chris Walker – Breheny Civil Engineering Ltd
- North Terminal Infrastructure Works – Harbour Infrastructure
- New Town and Bedford Street Flood Defence Scheme – Flood wall
- Hillside Farm – Residential Property Development – Roads and Drainage
- Highfields Farm – Residential Property Development – Roads and Drainage
- Woodhouse Park – Residential Property Development – Roads and Drainage
- Construction: Drainage, Roads, Services, Reinforced concrete foundations.
- Construction Management
- Health & Safety